Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Crazy Long Day in Colombia

July 16, 2012

This morning we visited the Fulbright Commission Office in Bogota, Colombia. We were welcomed with a slew of gifts: an oversized umbrella, a messenger bag, a t-shirt, along with pens, and booklets.
 Our morning was filled with lectures. First we received a warm welcome from Ann Mason, originally from upstate New York. She explained the many different programs that the Fulbright Commission currently has in place with graduate students and teachers from Colombia going to the U.S. and vice versa. She also encouraged us to spread the word about the Fulbright Programs. Next, another lady (with a very heavy Spanish accent) showed us a blurry PowerPoint slideshow of statistics, charts, and graphs relating to the Colombian Education System. After that, we met with three women who work for the U.S. Embassy in Colombia, who spoke about the many different exchange programs between the U.S. and Colombia.



They also explained how they are trying to start ESL programs and have a few pilot programs in elementary schools in Colombia. There are many problems with the ESL programs here. Most of the teachers that teach English know very little or in the process of learning English while they are trying to teach it.  The ESL teachers get little or no professional development, no set curriculums, no textbooks, and little to no resources. Some teachers are sent to a short training program in the U.S. in order to assist them with basic training. The Embassy is trying to encourage American teachers to come to Colombia and teach English. Programs such as ELF and ELS have been established in order for English linguists to teach in the country on many levels.

 After a morning of sitting we boarded a Cable Railway up to Mount Monserrate. From the top, you can see all of Bogota. A religious sanctuary also sits a top the mountain.



 Stop number three was Gran Estacion Mall. The weather in Bogota is a bit chilly, in the 60’s during the day and 40’s at night. Some members of the group picked up light jackets, closed toe shoes, and sweatshirts to be prepared for the weather for the next few days. Since I over packed I didn’t need to buy anything!
 Across the street was the Maloka Interactive Center. This interactive science and technology museum reminded me of the Queens Hall of Science.



I was drinking a delicious skull margarita & fell in love with the glass


Our special Fulbright dinner was at Andres Carne de Res.
Our group joined together with the entire staff of Fulbright Colombia for a delicious Colombian dinner. We stuffed our faces with empanadas, plantains, steak and chicken. I have a newfound love for arequipe. Arequipe isn’t really caramel, but it looks and tastes similar. My dessert was a piece of flan dripping in arequipe. My clothes are starting to get snug because I’ve been trying every food put in front of me- “When in Rome!” I just can’t resist new/interesting foods, so I guess I’ll worry about diet in two weeks when I get home.
 The men of Fulbright 
 Flan covered in arequipe

 The group doing the wave (my idea) on our new bus, the "Mini Marvi" 

 As a group bonding experience, some of us played the game “Celebrity” a version of charades when we arrived back at the hotel. I honestly don’t think I’ve laughed this hard in years!
What a long day!

2 comments:

  1. So are you saying I need to move to Colombia and teach EFL? The margarita in the scary skull glass was right up my alley... as well as that caramel dish! You look amazing by the way... keep eating it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the food and drinking:) and your description of the PowerPoint and the presenter! It's made me laugh and realize I miss you Alicia!!!!!!!! The picture from the cable car is beautiful!!!! Columbia looks like tons of fun. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete