Thursday, June 28, 2012

Does this typically happen on a Fulbright?

Day 5: June 28, 2012

Oaxaca, Mexico

This little city is extremely authentic. The buildings are bright colored, many with ornate doors and windows, and balconies with flower boxes. The cobble stone streets remind me of the Meat Packing District in NYC. Adults and children patrol the streets selling jewelry, wooden spoons for salt & sugar, balloons, toys, scarves etc. 

Emily, from Washington State, is my new roomie! 
Our beautiful hotel room has an amazing balcony.

I always wanted an adult size vanity.  




We spent several hours in the local market. 

 The smell of meat was one I'll never forget. Ugh! 

Crickets are a delicacy in Oaxaca. And many of my fellow Fulbrighters ate them.... I didn't!





Sarah, pimped me out! She wanted a picture of this guy's abuela so she said I'd take a picture with him... He loved me .... La rubia!





A touch of the U.S in Mexico 



El Templo de Santo Domingo de Guzmán de la ciudad de Oaxaca de Juárez 




This evening we walked through the streets of Oaxaca, enjoying some street art, to hear Omar Nunez a former Fulbrighter. His organization Ollin Tlahtoalli: Spanish Center in Oaxaca, Mexico. His work children and the arts is amazing. He volunteers to help children in Oaxaca express themselves through photo journalism, painting, and collaboratively working on murals in the neighborhood, just to name a few. He is also very involved in assisting children, whose parents have been deported and forced to move back to Mexico, with language, identity, and social skills. Check out his website:




An authentic Mexican dinner 
Left to right: (Emily, Patria, Deb, Courtne, Erin)

Left to right: (Jessica (sicko), Leo (the Colombian comedian), Sarah (my clone), and me! 

Mole negro con pollo 



 guacamole 


Traditional music 



And now we are on the roof top of our hotel drinking Mexican Cabernet Savignon & Indio beer, eating quesillo (the Mexican mozzarella), and enjoying the conversations of some of the most interesting people I've ever met! We are all getting along extremely well and one of the girls asked, "Does this typically happen on a Fulbright?" And someone else responded, "Yes, because it's only the first week!" lol 

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you are enjoying yourself and met great people. I'm so happy for you! Enjoy and keep the blogs coming......it is so interesting to see the pictures and read about your adventures. Face time me when you get a chance. Love, D & I xoxo

    ReplyDelete